Monday, November 12, 2007

Lack of blogging and adventures in public transit

I have sort of neglected my blog for the past few months because I was beginning to feel like my underpants were showing out there in teh interwebs. I've really been spending more time writing in my journal and otherwise honing my obviously extraordinary literary skills.

But I have been taking public transit more these days. It's almost impossible to park for free where I work, and I can't afford the 5 to 10 dollars a day it costs to park the shit-mobile. Plus gas is expensive. I mean, REALLY expensive. So the #2 bus it is. The #2 runs east and west down Ponce de Leon Ave. If you know Atlanta, you know what this means. Daily fun and entertainment!

Saturday I had to be at the theatre factory at 2pm, so slogged my sorry ass down to the bus stop in front of the public library. As we all know, public libraries are great places for the non-domiciled to hang out, what with the free internet access and climate control. Hey! I'm all for it! But please don't throw trash (ie: beer bottles, crack pipes, used tampons) around the sidewalk and bus stop there. A girl's gotta draw a line somewhere.

Good 'ole #2 showed up right on time, as always. I swiped my pass, grabbed a seat (I had my pick since it was a Saturday afternoon and not rush hour), and put my earbuds in to listen to some Steely Dan or Jupiter Coyote or Edwin McCain or some other vile music that I'd never admit to listening to. I immediately noticed the din of a crazed ghetto queen SCREAMING (with a capital S) hysterically into her cell phone. She was apparently talking to someone named "Daddy", and judging by her age, I don't think the man was biologically related to her. Something about not meeting her at her bus stop, but she DID have his money, no, she did love him...blah blah blah...all the usual crack whore stuff. Now, no one would have cared who she was talking to, had the population of Chicago not been able to hear her, but she was just incredibly loud. And was making everyone very uncomfortable. So the guy in the seat next to her asked her to "take it down a notch". Just damn. This was obviously the wrong thing to do. She slammed shut her phone, put her finger up in his face (after making some sort of swirly move with it) and exclaimed "Yo ass don't need to be all up in my conversation." To which this gentleman replied with "tha whole damn bus up in yo conversation".

At this point, bad weave started flying everywhere.

I will spare the details of the rest of the argument for the sake of brevity, but know that some truce was apparently reached, because, next thing we know, he had propositioned her.

Turns out she was a ho.

And was very angry that all he had was fifteen dollars and probably didn't have a car "since he was riding the MARTA and shit.."

Can't folks EVER act right?

Moving on to News that (some) People Care About:

It looks like the stagehands union on Broadway staged a walkout on Saturday morning, effectively shutting down most of the Great White Way. Good for you, guys! I think we're all tired of being told that we're unskilled labor, our jobs should be part time, and "any warm body will do". Fight the good fight and know that those of us down here in the Durty South support you.

Peace, love, and hair grease.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll trade you some Atlanta crack whores for some Po'k County crack whores. It'll certainly make my life a helluva lot more interesting around here -- If only you'd seen the toothless, balding Bertha who propositioned my grandfather at the gas station not too long ago...

Oh, and, in answer to your question, no, folks can't ever act right, not in public. I'm convinced there's a new unspoken law that the general populace is garnering via subliminal advertising that Anyone Expressing Any Form of Manners or Decency in A Public Forum Will Be Sentenced To A Life of Relative Obscurity (that means no reality television show on VH1, ever...the horror).

Scott said...

Sounds like an interesting bus ride. At least I hope it was seeing how you were going to be a part of it whether or not you wanted to be. The most exciting thing to happen on my rides into work this week was a deer running out as I came around a curve on my motorcycle. That and my favorite parts running to hide as I froze my ass off.