Thursday, February 5, 2009

Stress management, or how to buy a 90 year old home in a million easy steps.

I don't think I have ever been so stressed out in my life. I know that I'm going to get the house, the question now is, for what price. After the inspection on Monday, I realized that after I buy this place, I'm going to be in bed for at least $20,000 before it's even livable. The roof needs to be re-surfaced, the electrical needs to be re-wired, and the hot water heater (that is currently gas) needs to be upgraded to electric. Call me a picky snob, but I would like to be able to dry my hair with the lights on without causing a black out, and I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with a pilot light (read: open flame) in the crawl space of a 90 year old frame bungalow.

Considering that I have such a fear of commitment, including financial, I am losing my mind right now. But I know that this is what I truly want to do. Not only will I finally have a home of my own, I have made a commitment to myself that over the next 10 years, I will renovate this home with the love and care that it truly deserves. Having grown up in a home that was 150 years old, I have no illusions about the commitment this involves.

That being said, I needed a bit of a break after tonight. The show this evening was a bit stressful in that Tim Rice was in the audience. You've never seen a cast so on point. However, the pressure to make sure that things I have no control over were correct was pretty high.

So...I can home, fixed a nice little cocktail, and gave myself a lovely pedicure. Nothing is more therapeutic than scraping callouses off feet that have been abused for the past two months.

I'm going to watch the latest episode of "Damages" and fantasize about how great my new house will be in 3 years, and then how AWESOME it will be in ten years, and how I finally have a home.

No comments: